Friday, November 19, 2010


Write or Die!

I've given myself just 15 minutes to write a note about Write or Die, using the Write or Die Online app at http://writeordie.drwicked.com/. One part of me is thrilled to think that I might get an electric shock if I stop writing, the other part of me is mortified that my procrastination has led me to this course of action.

Write or Die is predicated on the notion that writing on a deadline is a good thing. With distractions like Facebook and Twitter and email and Solitaire at my disposal I sometimes wander off course. Those "I should check that website" or "I need a recipe for dinner" or "I wonder what's happening on I-Need-A-Life.com" thoughts are crushed when you're on a Write or Die deadline.

Once you've set your Word and Time Goal and chosen your Consequences (Gentle, Normal, Kamikaze or Electric Shock mode) and Grace Period (Forgiving, Strict, Evil) options, you just click Write! and you're transported to a blank screen with a timer and word count bar to keep track of your progress.

Stop writing and the screen begins to flash darkening shades of red. Continue to procrastinate and reap the consequences of the evil sound. Keep putting it off and words begin to disappear off the screen.
You can pause the application at any time -  if the house is on fire, or the phone beckons (and it's not just a friend looking to kill some of your time) - but ALT-TABBING to check email/FB/Twitter will not stop Write or Die from sounding the alarm.

It's taken me less than the allotted time to write this note. I'm one minute early - even after chatting with my partner and our child for a minute or two to show them how cool this is. Now, I'm just waiting to see what happens when the countdown timer runs down. Will my computer explode?

15 minutes and 300 words.

Copy the text and save to the word processor.

Post to Facebook/Blog/Twitter.

Thanks, Write or Die.

Time to shut this down and surf the interweb for the rest of the day.

No comments: